Butcher block countertops are a popular option for homeowners who are creating a farmhouse-style or country cottage kitchen design. Butcher block may be more versatile than you realize, available in many different wood materials, designs, and colors. Why should you consider butcher block countertops? If you are curious about these kitchen countertop options, read on to learn all about what they can offer your new kitchen designed with About Kitchens & More.
Why Homeowners Choose Butcher Block Countertops
There are a few primary reasons why homeowners love butcher block countertops. These advantages include:
- Versatility: These countertops come in traditional woods, including cherry, oak, maple, walnut, and cherry, but also in bamboo, teak, tigerwood, beech, hickory, and more! You can also choose the edge grain, end grain, or blended style.
- Cost: Butcher block countertops are often priced between laminate and natural stone. This makes them ideal for mid-sized budgets who want something bold and original but want to avoid splurging on stone.
- Longevity: Butcher block can last for about 20 years with regular maintenance, which is nearly as long as granite!
- Easy to Clean: Sponge cleaning with warm water and a bit of dish soap can often be all you need to clean your butcher block countertop.
- Easy to Refinish: If you need to refinish your counter because of nicks or scratches, you have to sand it down and re-oil the surface with a food-safe oil.
Butcher Block Maintenance and Care
Butcher block needs regular maintenance to ensure longevity. After you install and seal your counter, the block must be sealed monthly to guard against stains and scratches. Apply food-grade oil with a soft cloth.
Butcher block also needs resurfacing. How often you resurface depends on the countertop’s wear and tear, but some recommend resurfacing every ten years. You can use fine-grit sandpaper to remove stains and reseal the counter. For daily cleaning, you can use a solution of warm water and dish soap.
Butcher Block Countertop Design Options
There are four designs available for butcher block countertops:
- Edge Grain: The most popular, characterized by long boards glued together. The boars can vary in length, so there aren’t joints, or they can be finger-jointed.
- Face Grain: This style uses the top of the wood, the most visible part of the wood, and the widest and broadest side.
- End Grain: This uses the end of the wood to create a checkerboard look.
- Blended Grain: This combines interior and exterior rails and has color variations between light and dark wood.
PROFESSIONAL DESIGN AND REMODELING SERVICES FROM ABOUT KITCHENS AND BATHS
About Kitchens and Baths has the Annapolis community abuzz with excitement over our stellar home renovation services. With an approximate timeline of only three weeks and two days for project completion, we outshine the competition in our reliability. From tear-out to design, all aspects of each renovation project are handled in-house by our expert team. We ensure customer satisfaction and consistent quality for all remodeling services. Visit our showroom to meet the About Kitchens team and discuss your design goals. Our home renovation services are versatile and detail-oriented, supporting all styles, features, and rooms. While kitchens and bathrooms are our primary focus, we also channel our skills to assist home office and laundry room renovations. The sky’s the limit! Call us at 410-573-0877 or email us at email@example.com or fill out our contact form today!